HNN published an article that summarizes some of the trends in hospitality recruitment. In their article, Aim higher when hiring: Tips for improving recruitment, they highlight these takeaways:
- Hotels can now use online platforms to hire short term contract worker in the case of a busy weekend
- Hiring is now done by communicating over Skype, messaging, other services
- Hotels are identifying work tasks that can be done by technology instead of hiring staff
- The author anticipates a shortage of available qualified labor in hospitality, despite the industry’s growth
- Hiring millennials involves focusing on selling the benefits to them
Your staff are the front line of interaction with customers, so it’s no surprise that customers have a better experience when your staff are happy. This article dives into a few studies and experiments that reinforce this idea. According to the article, “creating an emotional connection appears to be key to build customers’ loyalty, and employees play the most powerful role in building this emotional connection.” This links to the idea of “emotional contagion”, in which a guest will mirror the emotion that the staff displays. Happy customers help with positive word-of-mouth, which leads to more bookings. Read A happy employee will make a happy customer on eHotelier.